From Daraga, Albay, one will pass by Pilar. However, you only pass by Sitio Putiao. From the center of Daraga to the Pilar junction (going to Donsol/Pilar) area, it takes approx. 15-20 minutes drive. It will take another 10-15 minutes drive to Cumadcad, Castilla.
Cumadcad is just a barangay of the town of Castilla, The town proper is really almost an hour drive away. However, when the Maharlika Highway was built and bypassed the town proper, the said sitio flourished better than the town proper. Thus, the town hall is located in this place than in the town proper.
The junction going to the Castilla proper can be identified by the fact that there’s a small concrete kiosk in the corner of the junction, plus a make-shift tricycle terminal. It’s another 20 minutes to Sorsogon City from this point.
From Cumadcad, it’s the last 30-minute stretch to Sorsogon City. For those who grew up in Sorsogon and took a regular trip to Castilla and beyond, the reference that one is near the town proper, is the crab-like rest house of Pepita Park.
The author’s reference as the end of the south road trip is the zero kilometer of Sorsogon located in Brgy. Balogo, just in front of Balogo Elementary School. It’s approximately 550 kilometers away from Luneta Park (the zero kilometer reference of the Philippine Highway System).
- Driving from Manila to Sorsogon (Part 1 – Driving along Laguna-Quezon Area) (sorsogoncity.wordpress.com)
- Driving from Manila to Sorsogon (Part 2 – Driving along Quirino Highway) (sorsogoncity.wordpress.com)
- Driving from Manila to Sorsogon (Part 3 – Driving along Sorsogon Area) (sorsogoncity.wordpress.com)
- Driving from Manila to Sorsogon (DPWH Highway Markers) (sorsogoncity.wordpress.com)
- Beware of Parked Cars Along Maharlika Highway (sorsogoncity.wordpress.com)